University vehicle rental discounts for Faculty, Staff, Students, and Guests.
UBC has access to several types of corporate (discount) agreements: BC post-secondary rates, BC Government; CAUBO rates, and Direct Travel's corporate rates. All of these rate types fluctuate frequently due to supply and demand, as such the best and easiest way to compare rates is to contact Direct Travel or use UBC's online booking tool SAP-Concur (Concur). The least expensive rates are always filtered to the top of the search results.
How to book a rental vehicle
Firstly, ensure you have an employee profile setup in Concur. New user registration A Concur profile is required for both the traveller and the travel arranger.
To be compliant with UBC's travel policy, we recommend selecting economy type vehicle rentals for university-related travel through:
- Concur, UBC's secure online booking tool or
- Email Direct Travel firstname.lastname@example.org or phone during business hours at 604-637-1466 or toll-free 1-844-905-3824
Choosing UBC booking methods will save you time and money and provide you with a quick rate comparison of all corporate rates. If you find a cheaper let Direct travel know so they can either match or beat the rate.
- Check directly with vehicle rental companies when speciality vehicles are required (e.g off-road, extra heavy load, towing capability, extra passenger type)
- If you are travelling in British Columbia always ask for, and compare the BC Government rate as they usually represent the best value
- BC Gov rates only apply for vehicle rental in BC
- When picking up the vehicle, ensure you have the appropriate corporate identification numbers and UBC identification
- Ask the car rental company to confirm the rate booked and to verify it against any promotional rates
- Always check the exterior of the vehicle for any damage before driving off the lot
- Upon drop-off verify the exterior of the vehicle and report any damage immediately
- In the event of an accident please ensure you advise the insurance provider within 48 hours (not the credit card company)
- Changing or cancelling bookings are easily managed within Concur and/or Direct Travel 24/7/365
BC Post Secondary with National/Enterprise worldwide
- XVC4UC2 (rate excludes Collision Damage Waiver Insurance)
- XVC4UC1 (rate includes Collision Damage Waiver Insurance)
UBC Scotia Bank Visa cardholders should only use the rate code which exclude the CDW insurance as it is automatically included on their Visa card. Important Note: The UBC Visa card must be used for payment and presented upon vehicle pickup and the rental agreement, driver name, and cardholder name must all be the same for CDW insurance coverage.
BC Government rates are valid with various companies for rental only in BC. Restrictions may apply if driving a vehicle outside of BC. Review Daily Vehicle Rental Suppliers By Community (xlsx)
Canadian Association of University Business Officers (CAUBO) rates are valid across Canada, the USA, and International destinations. If you prefer to book directly with the vendor sites use the following links, login and profiles will be required:
- Discount: Enter promo code CAUBU for unlimited KM packages or CAUBL for standard KM packages.
For Luxury & Premium vehicles/SUV’s and Pick up Truck: reservations can be made by calling 1-888-412-3733 and reference booking code 23538
It is the responsibility of the traveller to ensure there is adequate insurance for rental vehicles while on university business.
Third Party Liability
- UBC automatically carries Third Party Liability insurance for UBC related short-term car rental.
- UBC travellers should decline Third Party Liability insurance if offered by the car rental company.
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
- University employees should ensure they have CDW coverage, either through their UBC credit card or directly with UBC. Visit UBC Safety and Risk Service site "How to obtain rental vehicle insurance?"
- When using the UBC Visa card for vehicle rental, the cardholder must be present upon vehicle pickup and the rental agreement, driver name, and cardholder name must all be the same for CDW insurance coverage.
In the event of an accident or damage claim contract your insurance provider within 48 hours of the accident
Car Sharing Programs with Modo and evo
Car sharing makes the occasional use of a vehicle affordable while providing an incentive to minimize driving and rely on alternative travel options as much as possible. Typically, members pay a small monthly or annual administration fee to cover some of the fixed costs of the car, plus a minimum usage fee.