University travellers and guests of UBC have access to many vehicle rental discounts and corporate programs within Canada and abroad.
The University also has agreements with preferred vehicle rental companies that have options to include collision damage waiver (CDW/LDW) insurance.
Rental rates frequently fluctuate due to supply and demand, and vehicle rental companies also offer promotional prepaid rates. Prepaid rates have more restrictive change and cancellation policies, therefore UBC recommends the use of non-prepaid rates.
How to book a rental vehicle
We recommend booking standard vehicle rentals for university-related travel (e.g. employees, guests, etc.) through:
- Concur, UBC's secure online booking tool or
- Call an agent at Direct Travel during business hours 604-637-1466 or toll-free 1-844-905-3824
Both methods will save you time searching on various websites and provide you with a quick rate comparison on all corporate rates (CAUBO, BC Gov. Direct Travel)
Concur and Direct Travel have UBC's policy configured into the search systems and the various rate/corporate booking codes.
If you don't see the appropriate rate code or have questions please contact Direct Travel for immediate assistance during business hours 604-637-1466 or toll-free 1-844-905-3824.
When do you require a profile in Concur?
Profile set up is required in Concur for:
- UBC employees - traveller and travel arranger
- Check directly with UBC' s preferred vehicle rental companies when specialty vehicles are required (e.g off-road, extra heavy load, towing capability, extra passenger type)
- If you are travelling in British Columbia always ask for, and compare the BC Government rate as they usually represent the best value
- BC Gov rates only apply for vehicle rental in BC
- When picking up the vehicle, ensure you have the appropriate corporate identification numbers and UBC identification
- Ask the car rental company to confirm the rate booked and to verify it against any promotional rates
- Always check the exterior of the vehicle for any damage before driving off the lot
- Upon drop-off verify the exterior of the vehicle and report any damage immediately
- In the event of an accident please ensure you advise the insurance provider within 48 hours (not the credit card company)
- Changing or cancelling bookings are easily managed within Concur even if it was booked with an agent at Direct Travel it is visible in Concur
By using the UBC Travel Program there are additional duty of care/emergency travel services automatically provided 24/7. We will send email alerts when emergency situations arise and it's always a good idea to have your mobile phone include in your traveller profile for flight delay and cancellation updates.
UBC has access to various rate programs, including BC Government, CAUBO, BC Post Secondary and Travel Agency Corporate rates.
BC Government rates are only available for rentals within British Columbia.
If you are not booking through the UBC Travel program please verify the following rate codes with the rental vehicle company.
Visit the BC Government website for further information.
It is the responsibility of the traveller to ensure there is adequate insurance for rental vehicles while on university business.
Third Party Liability
- UBC automatically carries Third Party Liability insurance for UBC related short-term car rental.
- UBC travellers should decline Third Party Liability insurance if offered by the car rental company.
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
University employees should ensure they have CDW coverage through either of the 3 options offered by UBC.
- Ensure the employee's name on the UBC credit cards matches the name on the vehicle rental.
- The cost of the vehicle rental must be charged to the UBC credit card.
- The employee should decline the CDW or LDW insurance offered by the vehicle rental company.
- If the name on the UBC credit card is different from the driver, CDW/LDW insurance will need to be arranged with RMS or if available use UBC's preferred inclusive insurance rate option with Enterprise/National and/or Hertz. For booking assistance contact Direct Travel 604-637-1466 or toll-free 1-844-905-3824 during business hours
In the event of an accident or damage claim, the employee must notify the credit card insurance provider within 48 hours for the insurance to be valid. Insurance coverage may be declined if they are not notified.
For complete information verify the credit card certificate of insurance which was provided with the credit card.
Both rental companies offer the university preferred rates along with some rates that include CDW/LDW insurance. The inclusive rates are best used for the following UBC renters: e.g. students, UBC guests, employees who do not have access to a UBC credit card and/or the UBC's (RMS) insurance option.
Car Sharing Programs with Modo and evo
Car sharing makes the occasional use of a vehicle affordable while providing an incentive to minimize driving and rely on alternative travel options as much as possible. Typically, members pay a small monthly or annual administration fee to cover some of the fixed costs of the car, plus a minimum usage fee.