Leases, Licenses & Tenancies

Last updated: May 6, 2024

UBC sometimes needs to occupy premises off campus, or may wish to grant third parties rights to occupy premises on campus.

Normally a formal lease, license or tenancy agreement is required, and any such agreement requires the approval, execution and administration by Treasury.

Signing a Lease, License or Tenancy Agreement?

While a lease, license or tenancy agreement will likely be initiated by a faculty or staff member, only individuals explicitly identified in UBC’s signing resolutions have the legal authority to sign documents and to bind the university. The relevant signing resolution can be found on the University Councel's website. This ensures a proper review process so that UBC’s rights are protected.

In addition, if an individual faculty or staff member (other than an authorized UBC signing officer) signs a lease, license or tenancy agreement, they may be held personally liable for the agreement.

Approval Process

On campus

If a department wishes to grant a third party the right to occupy space on campus, Policy UP9 - Space Rental Policy, may apply. Departments should seek Treasury input if there is any question regarding applicability of that policy. Rent for use of academic space on campus will be invoiced and collected centrally by Treasury.

Off campus

Departments interested in occupying premises off campus should seek Treasury input from the outset. Treasury will assist in negotiating and finalizing agreements with third parties, but individual departments or units are responsible for ongoing administration and must arrange for any payments that may be required under the agreement.

Treasury will also coordinate execution of these agreements under UBC’s signing resolutions. In order to finalize a lease, license or tenancy agreement for approval by UBC’s authorized signatories, the following is required:

1. Request for Lease, License or Tenancy Approval Form

The applicable request form (depending on whether the request is for UBC to rent space off campus, or for UBC to rent space on campus to a third party) must be completed by the manager responsible for the agreement. The relevant dean or department/unit head must sign the request form (if more than one department/unit is involved in the agreement then both must sign), as well as the faculty/department/unit Finance Officer. By signing and submitting the form the faculty/department/unit:

  • acknowledges that it has reviewed the agreement and found the terms and conditions are acceptable and that it is in accordance with all applicable UBC policies, including but not limited to there being no conflict of interest under UBC Policy SC3 - COI Policy,
  • recommends the agreement be executed by UBC,
  • accepts full responsibility for proper performance of the agreement, and
  • confirms the ability to meet any financial obligations under the agreement.

Request for Rental Agreement Review and Approval (to a third party)

Request for Rental Agreement Review and Approval (from a third party)

2. Indemnity Approval Form

If the agreement includes an indemnity, University Counsel approval is needed.

Indemnity Approval Form

Please send completed forms and documents to Treasury Leasing.

For more information, contact Treasury Leasing.