Sustainable cleaning supplies can help to provide healthy indoor environments and safe working conditions for staff, faculty members and students.
UBC's Green Cleaning Program, run by UBC Building Operations, includes a comprehensive set of green cleaning and housekeeping initiatives that incorporate sustainability into Custodial Services’ daily operations.
Use the following guidelines to purchase day-to-day items such as dish soap, surface cleaners, and air fresheners.
- Non-toxic EcoLogo or Green Seal certified cleaning products
- Biodegradable, plant-based products
- Common toxic ingredients in cleaning supplies. The following is a brief list of some of the most commonly found toxins in certain product areas:
- Synthetic 'fragrance' or 'parfum'
- Triclosan (dishwashing soap, hand soap)
- 2-Butoxyethanol (multipurpose cleaners)
- Synthetic dyes