UBC measures and reports emissions from business travel as part of our Climate Action Plan. Choose lower carbon travel methods to help us reach our climate goals.
UBC staff and faculty flights generate approximately 15,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions each year and are one of the most significant emissions sources for our university.
Aim to avoid travelling whenever possible, and find other ways of being present at meetings, events or conferences. Tele or Videoconferencing is an ideal, sustainable choice for communications and meetings, between UBC Vancouver and UBC Okanagan and anywhere in the world, and will save your department time and money.
If travel is necessary, use low carbon methods of transportation, such as hybrid/electric rental cars, or public transportation. Consider purchasing carbon offsets, and ensure travel bookings are made through our authorized partner, UBC Travel.
- Nonstop flights
- Carbon Offsets (i.e. Offsetters)
- Car share options such as Modo, Evo or Car2go
- Car rental companies providing options to purchase carbon offsets
- Hybrid or electric vehicles
- Small vehicles, which are typically more fuel-efficient than large vehicles
- Public transportation, such as buses, trains and ferries
- Hotels participating in eco-rating or sustainability certification programs (See labels below for guidance)
- Hotels close to the event or business activity
- Hotels with shuttle services, or easy access to transit
- If conducting meetings at hotel, ask for sustainable catering/food options
- Multiple flight connections
- Low fuel efficiency models
- Unnecessarily large vehicles
- Hotels not participating in eco-rating or sustainability certification programs
- Hotels not easily accessible by transit
- Hotels far away from event or business activity
Sustainable Alternatives to Travelling
- Contact your office administrator to set up a TELUS Teleconference Line
Meeting Rooms with Equipment
- UBC Okanagan (free)
- Centre for Interactive Research on Sustainability (variable rate)
- UBC Conferences (variable rate)
- UBC Studios for high definition meeting rooms
Contact your administrator to determine the video conferencing software and meeting room options available in your office. For additional assistance email UBC IT AV Helpdesk or call 604-822-7956.