This is a repository for all of the FAQs from around the UBC Finance website. Use the search box to find a specific answer or browse the list of FAQs below. 

Q: Are there any UBC VISA card options?

The UBC VISA card has several options tailored to accommodate individual or departmental purchasing patterns:

Individual card:

  • goods and services per transaction, limit of $3,500 (card limit $15,000)
  • goods, services and travel per transaction, limit of $3,500 (card limit $35,000)

Departmental card:

  • The department card can be used for goods, services and travel.
  • The card limit is $35,000 and UBC purchasing policies, procedures apply.

If you are purchasing goods and services greater than $3,500, a Purchase Order is required. 

Important: Purchase transaction amounts may not be split into smaller amounts, or across time periods, in an attempt to suit the financial delegated authority of a staff member and to bypass submitting requisitions to Financial Operations. Any attempt to split a purchase transaction amount will be considered a breach of the policy.

Q: Can I access the system from off-campus?

Yes. The system is available off-campus but you will have to be connected to UBC’s VPN using a valid CWL ID. If you do not have VPN access please contact your IT support team.

Q: Can I apply BC Government’s homeowner grant to the Services Levy?

No, You cannot apply BC Government’s homeowner grant to the Services Levy. The full amount of the grant is issued by the province and is not a municipal grant.

The full amount of the grant can be applied to the Rural Tax portion of your property taxes. Visit the BC Government’s Homeowner Grant website for more details.

Q: Can I continue to manage my manager's expenses?

Yes, your manager - known as an ‘initiator’ in the Online Payment Tool - can assign ‘delegates’ to enter data, upload digital receipts and specify accounting information. Once you have entered the claims on behalf of your manager, your manager will need to log-in to the Online Payment Tool to review and submit the expense report for approval. The claim will be automatically routed for approval to the one-over-one or signing authority.

Q: Can I extend an employee on the same Change form when I make changes?

When performing a change (such as a change in salary or change in funding source) you cannot also extend the employee on the Change form. A Hire form must be used to extend the appointment.

Q: Can I perform fund transfers from within the system?

Yes. Transfers between chartfields in fund G0000 can be completed in Hyperion. These are completed in FundPlan and will be posted to the FMS Central Ledger generally between 2 to 3 business days.

Q: Can I still use my personal credit card?

Yes, however, faculty and staff are encouraged to apply for the UBC VISA Card.

The benefits are faster turnaround, no out-of-pocket expenses. Using the UBC VISA card, transactions will be imported directly into the Online Payment Tool and with a few clicks you can select the credit card charges for reconciliation and/or transfer to a travel expense claim. The use of personal credit cards will result in delays in processing payments in a timely manner. If you use your personal credit card, you will need to manually enter each line item into the Online Payment Tool and get reimbursed for out-of-pocket expense via direct deposit.

Q: Can I use multiple funding sources for work study appointments?

Only one P/G can be charged for these types of appointments. ePAF does not check for this, but the Work Study approver will recycle forms back to you if you submit more than one funding source.

Q: Can I use the same VISA card if I change departments?

Unfortunately a UBC VISA card is specific to a department. If you change departments, please fill out the UBC VISA Card Change Request Form. You will be able to apply for a new UBC VISA card once you have joined the new department.

Q: Can I use the UBC VISA Card for personal expenses?

No. The UBC VISA Card agreement clearly states personal charges are not permitted. If you inadvertently make a personal purchase:

  • Return the item for a refund.
  • If returning the item is not possible, declare it as a personal expense when you reconcile your credit card charges or when submitting a travel expense claim. If you fail to indicate the personal expense, your report will be sent back to you by your approver for correction. 
  • When you make a personal expense declaration, you authorize the University to deduct the amount of the personal expense from your payroll for the next pay period.