Ship (Export)

Shipping means exporting goods from the University via international or domestic routes. There are certain requirements and specifications to follow.

Please review these general guidelines and contact the Integrated Service Centre if you require further information or have specific questions.

Common Exporting Terminology

  • Certificate of Origin: A document that certifies the country where the product was made (i.e. its origin). A common export document, a certificate of origin is needed when exporting to many foreign markets.
  • Area Control List: A list of countries to which any export (except humanitarian items) requires an export permit.
  • Export Permits: A legal document that is necessary for the export of goods controlled by the Government of Canada, specifically goods included on the Export Control List or goods destined for countries on the Area Control List. The shipper/lab and not Finance applies for the export permits and responsible for providing and submitting all documentation. This process could take a few weeks so please ensure you have enough lead time before exporting. If you need some clarification, please contact the Integrated Service Centre.

Useful links:

How to Export Goods from UBC

When exporting goods ensure that the University is not the Importer of Record. Ensure the followings are met to avoid heavy fines and penalties:

  • Export documentation must be completed for all exports from UBC.
  • Department/individual is fully responsible for compliance with all Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) rules, regulations and legislation.
  • Goods crossing international borders are subject to duties and/or taxes collected by the government in the destination country (country of import).
  • All export documentation must be kept for seven (7) years.

How to Transport Dangerous Goods

The followings are considered dangerous goods:

  • All chemicals
  • Most biological substances such as serum, human body fluids, tissue etc.
  • Dry ice

Only a certified person or shipper with a valid certificate in transport of dangerous goods can transport dangerous goods. Please check with your carrier prior transport.

Ensure the followings are met for transporting dangerous goods to avoid penalties and fines:

  • All shipments must have proper documentation and paperwork.
  • Labels must be affixed to shipments
  • Shipments must be packaged properly and correctly identified with proper United Nations (UN) number and product name.
  • Departments are responsible for determining if an export permit is required.
  • For air shipments, attach the original Shipper's Declaration of Dangerous Goods form.

How to Transport Dry Ice

  • Styrofoam is acceptable as outer packaging only if vented.
  • The package and the waybill must show the UN number, weight of the dry ice in kilograms
  • To and from addresses must be indicated on the package.

Note: If you ship dry ice with Purolator Courier Ltd., as the product is not part of the packaging it is considered a dangerous good.

Further information can be obtained from