New Employees

Learn the basics about tax for UBC employees on the Faculty and Staff page, and see specific details for new employees below.

Making sure that tax is calculated accurately for our community is a priority. If you need support getting set up as a new employee, please visit the UBC Self-Service Portal (CWL required).

Setting your TD1 and TD1BC tax elections in Workday

All employment income is subject to income tax which is deducted from earnings, but how much income tax is deducted is dependent on your personal situation. The TD1 and TD1BC forms are the basic federal and provincial personal tax credit forms that calculate how much tax should be withheld from payments issued by employers.

Based on your personal situation, there are tax exemptions you can claim to reduce your income tax deduction amount immediately at the source (or you may choose to wait to claim tax exemptions when you file your personal tax return each year).

New employees should fill out TD1 and TD1BC forms to set their "tax elections" in Workday. For information on if/when existing employees should fill out new TD1/TD1BC forms, visit the Faculty and Staff page in the Your Taxes section.

For instructions on how to update your tax elections in Workday, refer to the Change My Tax Elections guide in the Workday Knowledge Base (CWL required).

Newcomers to Canada

New to Canada? Check out the resources available from the Canada Revenue Agency to familiarize yourself with Canadian tax rules.