When buying or upgrading appliances, choose energy efficient models, consider refurbished models, and share or centralize appliances with other offices in your building.
If you have an old refrigerator or freezer, check the energy consumption rating and consider replacing it with a new, energy efficient model.
List appliances that are no longer needed on Reuse-it! UBC. If a product has reached its end of life, consult Recyclepedia, then recycle it through a vendor take-back program or UBC Waste Management's electronic waste recycling program.
If your building is too hot or cold, tell us if something doesn't seem right in your building prior to purchasing additional space heating or cooling equipment.
- Energy efficient, ENERGY STAR certified appliances
- Re-manufactured or refurbished equipment
- Long-lasting, durable appliances
- Appropriately-sized appliances, based on usage
- Proper recycling of small appliances at end of life
- Seasonally-appropriate clothing, to avoid the need for additional space heating or cooling
- Purchasing more, or larger, appliances than needed
- Purchasing energy inefficient options when more efficient models are available
- Purchasing space heaters and cooling fans