Travellers may be reimbursed for the cost of meals either by submitting receipts for actual meal costs or by claiming meal per diems.
Meals per Diem
- Receipts are not required to claim meals per diem.
- Where a meal per diem is claimed no additional amount may be claimed for the same meals.
- Travellers may claim a meal per diem for an entire day or partial day.
- Meal per diem may only be claimed where meals have actually been consumed.
- Meal per diem cannot be claimed where meals are already included, such as through conference fees, meetings, etc.
As of April 1, 2013 the following meals per diem rates apply:
|Maximum Rates (incl. tax and gratuities)||Canada||USA||Europe/Int'l|
|Breakfast||$14 CAD||$14 USD||$14 EURO / USD /CAD|
|Lunch||$16 CAD||$16 USD||$16 EURO / USD /CAD|
|Dinner||$30 CAD||$30 USD||$30 EURO / USD /CAD|
|Daily Total||$60 CAD||$60 USD||$60 EURO / USD /CAD|
Travel by private vehicle may be necessary to save time and/or costs. Reimbursement for costs are made to the driver only and are calculated by applying the mileage (km) rate to the actual driving distance while on UBC business, by the most direct route.
The amount claimed should not exceed the full economy airfare.
Effective April 1, 2013, the maximum mileage/kilometer rate is $0.49 per kilometer.