This is a repository for all of the FAQs from around the UBC Finance website. Use the search box to find a specific answer or browse the list of FAQs below. 

Q: Can I use the same VISA card if I change departments?

Unfortunately a UBC VISA card is specific to a department. If you change departments, please fill out the UBC VISA Card Change Request Form. You will be able to apply for a new UBC VISA card once you have joined the new department.

Q: Can I use the UBC VISA Card for personal expenses?

No. The UBC VISA Card agreement clearly states personal charges are not permitted. If you inadvertently make a personal purchase:

  • Return the item for a refund.
  • If returning the item is not possible, declare it as a personal expense when you reconcile your credit card charges or when submitting a travel expense claim. If you fail to indicate the personal expense, your report will be sent back to you by your approver for correction. When you make a personal expense declaration, you authorize the University to deduct the amount of the personal expense from your payroll for the next pay period.
Q: Can I view the Forecast and Approved Plan in FMS?

Yes. The Forecast and Approved Plan are loaded to the Planning ledger. Users need to have an nVision report or use an FMS query to extract data from the table LEDGER_BUDG. Users that want to review the Forecast, the ledger is called FORECAST and for the Approved Plan, the ledger is PLANNING.

Q: Do I contact Research Finance, ORS or UILO?

Research Finance looks after the post award financial administration of the PG. If there are questions on expense eligibility, invoices, financial balance of the account or the financial statements, these can be directed to the Finance Officer at Research Finance, listed on the Research Project Budget Form and in FMS nQuery (select Chartfields menu, Project/Grant menu, and key in the PG number).

If there are concerns regarding the status of a research application, status of a PG set up, budget or any grant agreement/contract issues, please contact Office of Research Services (ORS), or University Industry Liaison Office (UILO) if it is a contract-based account.

Q: Do I have to file a tax return if I am a student?

Even if you have no income, you should still file your income tax and benefit return. As a student, you might be eligible for many credits, deductions, and benefits. You must file your tax return to get them. 

Visit CRA for more information

Q: Do I need a profile?

Yes! Travellers and travel arrangers need a Concur profile to book through UBC Travel, whether you will be booking with a full-service travel consultant or online through Concur.

Q: Do I require a license for a home business?

Yes. Business licenses are required for all commercial enterprises and home-based businesses in the UBC neighbourhood. Visit Campus + Community Planning for more details on how to apply for a business license.

Q: Does the Hyperion system support Apple Macintosh?

Yes. However, it is recommended that you use Windows for Mac and Internet Explorer 9 to access Hyperion applications. If you are using Mac OS, then please use Mozilla Firefox 3.5 or greater.

Note: SmartView is not supported through Office on Mac.

Q: How and when can I apply for the UBC VISA card?

The card will be available to the campus community on a prescribed rollout schedule. When your faculty, department or business unit is contacted, as part of the campus rollout, you will have the opportunity to apply for the new UBC VISA Card on an individual or departmental basis.

Please do not apply for the UBC VISA card before your faculty/unit is contacted as your application will not be processed.

Q: How are payment reject handled?

Financial Operations will contact the vendor directly and reissue payment once the banking information has been updated.