The PCI Security Standards Council was founded in 2006 by American Express, Discover Financial Services, JCB International, MasterCard, and Visa Inc. to enhance payment account data security.
The Council administers and manages the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS).
The standards govern:
- anyone who stores, process or transmit cardholder data
- payment application software development
- payment hardware manufacturing.
Security Benefits of Complying
- Prevent the theft of credit card data or CHD and resulting fraud.
- Protect your reputation as a merchant.
- Maintain consumer confidence.
- Avoid financial liabilities, fines and penalties.
- Retain the ability to accept credit cards.