Claiming Home Office Expenses – T2200S Forms Now Available

Tuesday, March 02, 2021

In January UBC shared information about how the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), recognizing the special circumstances of the 2020 tax year, has created two new ways employees may be able to claim home office expenses. Full information about both options is available on the Claiming Employment Expenses page.

The second of these CRA options requires the new T2200S tax form, which is produced by employers for their employees to use as applicable.

Access the T2200S Form

UBC has now created T2200S for all UBC-employed faculty and staff for use in their personal tax returns as appropriate. The forms are being shared through a secure site.

Use the information below to access the site and retrieve the form (along with a cover letter that explains more about the form itself).

  1. Log into Workday and find the link to the T2200S site in the announcements pane. *Please note: The T2200S site will be unavailable from 8:00 pm on Friday, March 5, to 2:00 am on Saturday, March 6, for regular monthly maintenance.
  2. Download the form and the cover letter

An email will also be sent to faculty and staff who have up-to-date email information connected to their CWL, letting them know that their form is now available.

UBC employees who log in but find that no form is available and who believe they are entitled to one, or anyone with questions about accessing the form, should contact the Integrated Service Centre:

  1. Pick ‘Get Help’ from the six menu options
  2. Fill in all required fields and add short description “missing T2200s forms”
  3. Select the general area issue is related to ‘Workday (Finance/HR/Payroll)’from the drop down menu
  4. Submit your ticket, make note of the INC # and track the progress of your ticket

Please remember that it is up to the employee to self-determine which — if any — of the options for claiming home office expenses they should pursue, as well as the official details of their deductions (and to maintain receipts and backup documentation for any deductions claimed). Employees are encouraged to consult with personal tax advisors as necessary.